Thursday, January 10, 2013

Back to quilting!


I tend to always have a bazillion sewing projects going on at once. I get really excited about some new idea, work really hard on it, and then end up putting it away before it's finished. Sometimes I put it away because I'm in the inevitable "I hate this because it's too hard and not turning out the way I want!" slump, or I get really excited about some new idea I can't wait to start, or life just happens and I don't have time for much sewing for a while. I was very thankful to find out that I'm not the only one, and that this is pretty common among quilters!

Well, all last year I've been trying to finish projects, and restrict myself when it comes to starting new ones. By September or so, I realized that I was getting bummed out whenever I thought of sewing, because I had given myself a bunch of rules, like forcing myself to finish 2 things before starting something new, etc. So this year, I'm doing something a little different!



I currently have 14 things in progress (well, 15 actually, I started something new yesterday for a swap I'm in!). My goal for the year is to finish all of these projects! It will keep me busy enough so I don't start too many new things, but I'll have a bit of freedom to still be creative when I want to! For motivation, I'm linking up to the 2013 Finish-A-Long and continuing in the Project UFO group on Flickr hosted by Angela. So, my goals for the first quarter of this year are:

1. Do Good Stitches August quilt:
This is already pieced, basted, and about 1/4 of the way quilted, so should be pretty easy & quick!DONE! Finished 2/12/13

2. Finish up these four cuddle packs.
Just need to add a buckle to one of these, but I'm having a hard time finding the right one at stores!DONE! Finished 1/19/13

3. Finish up Evy's dress-the first dress I've ever made for her!
The dress itself is done, but I need to either figure out a way to take in the waist, or maybe add a sash or ribbon, because it looks like a nightgown! Also, I still need to make the matching doll dress.DONE! Finished 2/16/13

4. The Old-Timey 9-Patch Quilt:

I started this about 10-11 years ago! I had to take it apart at least twice, because I didn't like the direction it was going. I still don't actually actively LIKE it, but this is the best I've gotten it so far, and I'm not changing it again. One thing I do like about it is the on-point construction. All the books and tutorials I found had you cutting setting triangles, but that just seemed crazy, so I constructed it in rows, and then sewed the rows together. It was a little weird in the middle sections where everything is offset, but I kept the whole thing on my entryway floor as I was putting it together, so I didn't get confused. I need to get it done, and out of my head and cupboard!
I finished piecing the back just before Christmas, and it's now basted and ready to be quilted.DONE! Finished 3/17/13

5. These old aprons:

These are almost finished--I got discouraged because they were very floppy and weak since I made them with quilting cotton. I'm going to add some fusible fleece and call it good!DONE! Finished 3/15/13

6. And lastly, this super-sweet triangle quilt:


I made this using the Scrap Attack tutorial from Stitched in Color, and I also trimmed the tips of the triangles like described by Sew Katie Did. This is the first time I've done anything with triangles, and I don't think I'll be doing it again. It looks amazing, but takes forever, and is just a pain to work with the bias edges, and uses up a ton of fabric. But, the top and back are done, so I just need to baste, quilt, and finish it! DONE! Finished 4/2/13 Whew! That's all of them, just under the wire!

Hopefully I'll get all of these finished this quarter, and start on the next batch next quarter!

















2 comments:

  1. I can't believe your have rules trying to keep your quilter ADD in check. Sounds horrible! The bees and swaps are what get me. I do barely anything and there is another quilt waiting. How'd that happen? I hope you are able to stay creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your finishes Colleen! Love the triangle quilt. The colors remind me of summer taffy :)

    ReplyDelete