Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival






I finished this quilt a long time ago, and for one reason or another never got around to posting about it. Seeing the Blogger's Quilt Festival going on this week was just the inspiration I needed!



I made this as a baby quilt for my niece Gracie. Heather Ross is my all-time favorite designer, and when she came out with this line, Far Far Away II, a few years ago, I was in love! I was lucky enough to find a bunch of it on sale online a while ago, and stocked up! 




These prints are all a linen-cotton blend, with a nice heavy drape. I thought it would be great for a Fall baby! I love the way this colorway is so vintage-looking, yet so fresh at the same time!



I had a hard time deciding which pattern to use for this quilt. There are so many little scenes and characters, and I didn't want to cut anything off. I finally drafted my own pattern using two different 12" finished blocks. 

 

There were just enough prints, that at this size there wasn't too much repeat! I'm planning on making a Real Big size quilt with all three colorways for me to keep forever my daughter soon!



The only bad thing about this pattern, and this fabric line honestly, is that in order to have full fussy-cut scenes, there is a lot of waste, especially with the Rapunzel towers. I cut the Owl & Pussycat print two different ways, so that saved a bit of fabric, but I had quite a lot of towers & other scraps that I couldn't bring myself to throw away! Then I remembered Megan's beautiful quilt using my all-time favorite fabric line, also by Heather Ross, Far Far Away 1. So I trimmed my scraps to 2 1/2" x whatever size they already were, arranged them all over my dining room floor, commissioned my husband to figure out the math, added in a bunch of Essex linen in natural, and came up with this:



The binding is also Essex linen. It was the perfect match for the FFA2 in both weight and color. I really hate mixing fabric types, so finding the Essex was great! Binding in linen, and to be honest, quilting with it, is a little bit of a pain. It wasn't horrible by any means, but way more difficult than regular quilting cotton!




I hand quilted it in a light pink Gutermann hand-quilting thread, 1/4" away from each seam. I love how it frames each little square!

My great friend Hilary Reimers took all these pictures for me while our kids played at the park--she is always so awesome and generous and kind, and I love being able to have her as my friend! I think she deserves the "Best Quilt Photography" award, don't you? :)

Blogger’s Quilt Festival Stats
Finished quilt measures : ~36" x 48"
Designed, pieced, and quilted by : me!
Best Category : Baby Quilt, Hand-Quilted Quilt, Favorite Quilt Photographer


Be sure to head over to the Blogger's Quilt Festival to vote and see almost 500 (yes, really!) amazing entries!







11 comments:

  1. This is darling - and such a great way of using those fabrics to their best advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those fabrics and you came up with a quilt to show them off! Love the back too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is beautiful. Also my favorite all-time fabric designer. I love the design you came up with and the way you used the scraps on the back. I do have have to say I'm more than a little jealous of the little one this quilt went to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute! I like the back as well as the front. And I loved seeing the owl and the pussy cat in their beautiful pea green boat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job fussy cutting (yes, there is a lot of fabric 'waste'!) and the quilt looks fabulous. Make one for yourself, there is plenty of other fabric for your daughter. I loved your post as well.
    Jaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!!! This quilt is wonderful!!! I love everything about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the patterns and pictures on the quilt. I am sure that Gracie will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a cheerful quilt, and I just love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you knocked it out of the park with that fussy cutting! Fabulous, but I agree with you, boy do you hate the waste, so great idea using it on the back!

    ReplyDelete