Wednesday, April 18, 2012

29 Random Things

Well, last week was my 29th Birthday! Here are 29 random things!


1. I have four kids, and I am convinced they are the best kids ever.

2. My husband and I met in High School. He won me over with his awesome hackey-sack skills, knowledge of Weezer lyrics, and (more honestly) the fact that he was a respectful, funny, good person. 
Also his family is the best.

3. I got a My Little Pony for my third birthday, and I have loved horses ever since.

4. I love Jane Austen. I think my favorites are Persuasion, Pride & Prejudice, then Sense & Sensibility. The others are good too, although I don't read them as often.

5. I had my last two children "naturally," without any drugs, after rather awful experiences with my first two. SO much better.

6. When I was in elementary school I had 3 pet gophers. I saved them from the field at my school (the maintenance guy was flooding all the tunnels) and kept them in a 60 gallon fishtank half-full of dirt so I could see their tunnels.

7. I also had fish, frogs, toads, newts, salamanders, lizards, snakes, mice, rabbits, and cats growing up. I told my dad that my kittens climbed in my open bedroom window and moved in. That was a lie. (sorry Dad!) I actually got one from a neighbor and the other showed up in my best friend's backyard.

8. I have all of the original Thundercats comic books.

9. I'm a very happy person. I love my life, my family, my faith, my friends, and my hobbies.

10. I've decided to learn to play piano this year. I played flute for a long time (although very poorly) so I've had a hard time teaching my brain about bass clef. 

11. I really love everything about quilting, from buying fabric, to planning quilts, to the actual work of cutting, sewing, and quilting. I sew almost every day.
                                                  

12. Some of my favorite movies are Star Wars, Robin Hood (Disney Version), and Moulin Rouge.

13. I don't watch scary movies. I seriously can't handle them.

14. My favorite color has been purple for as long as I can remember.

15. I love Fall. So crispy cold, and blustery, and it just makes me want to curl up in front of a fire with a book and hot chocolate and a nice blanket. 

16. I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) when I was 18. 

17. I haven't worn any makeup ever since my Senior Prom.


18. I love the rare occasions when I'm in the car alone and can turn the music up super loud and sing along!

19. I have one younger sister, who is hilarious and beautiful and awesome.

20. I was a vet tech at an animal shelter before I quit to stay home full time. I've also worked at an emergency animal hospital, and daytime vet clinic, a horse ranch, a tack store, a pet superstore, and a burger restaurant.

21. I spent every summer through high school at my Mom's house in Sacramento, with no air conditioning. That city is not my friend.

22. I would love to have a little farm some day. My kids think it's a bad idea because they think they would have to wake up super early and work hard all day long. Scott thinks it's a bad idea because he doesn't like animals. I'm pretty sure I can still win though.

23. I'm a little bit claustrophobic, and don't do well in super crowded malls and grocery stores. It's not just the close space or commotion, it's trying to do things in those spaces, like change a crying baby in an airplane bathroom or buy groceries in a crowded store with three or four kids all talking and crying at once that freaks me out. That's normal, right?

24. I can drive a manual transmission, and two of my cars were manuals. Since those are dying out and there's very little chance of me ever needing that skill again, I'm secretly hoping for some sort of Jason Bourne-style chase scene to happen in my life where I save the day by being the only one around who can drive the Ferrari.

25. I used to be kind of a punk/skater chick. I was pretty terrible at skateboarding, but I could Ollie up a curb, which I thought was pretty great.

26. When thinking of names for my kids, I wanted them all to sound good as royalty, just in case. Prince William, Princess Evaline, Emperor Maximus, King Benjamin. You never know, so I didn't want to stick them with something that would sound ridiculous if the need arose.

27. I've only gotten my hair cut by a professional twice in my life. Once when I was 8 and once in high school. My Grandpa always cut it when I was a kid, I did it later on, and Scott does it now. I can't handle my hair being in my face, so it's always up, so I've never cared!

28. This was my Tasha dog. She was the best. I had her for over a decade, and she was the sweetest friend.


29. I've felt so young for so long, it's weird to be almost 30. Every where I go people are amazed that I got married so young, had kids so young, already have so many kids even though I'm so young. Maybe I'll just take it all as a compliment! 


Me at about 2 years old

Will's portrait of me a few months ago

Me and Evy last week

Hopefully you all don't think I'm a crazy person now! 

8 comments:

  1. Colleen! This is a really good list! You know the great thing? As I read it, I thought to myself "Oh, I love that about her" about every single one.

    Also, how did that goober in your prom photo ever get you to agree to go out with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful, amazing person. I think it's great that I was there for your wedding. #6 is so cool! #12 - me too. I love Disney's Robin Hood. #13 - neither can I. #17 - you are so beautiful you don't need it. #24 - so can I and I'm proud of it. #26 - totally sweet. Emperor Maximus might be my favorite name for royalty.

    What a wonderful list. Thanks for letting me get to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love you! You are an amazing person. Thank you for being my friend. You make me want to be a better person. And, yay for driving a manual transmission! (they are the best!) And, yay for a farm some day! And I love the royalty thing. Always best to be prepared. :-) I know you think your kids mostly look like Scott, but look at that baby picture of you! I think Max totally looks like you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list, Colleen.

    I can't handle scary movies either. I ended up watching The Ring at the theatre because some people suggested going and sounded excited... so I said ok, NEVER HAVING HEARD OF THE MOVIE. Haha I spent the first hour with my jacket over my head and my hands over my ears, occasionally looking at the screen. Then I said that I had to go to the bathroom and actually went to watch Harry Potter for a half hour. Then it was back to the jacket situation for the rest of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such an amazing list! you are such a beautiful person inside and out! (still cannot believe you havent wore make up)... u look amazing though =) and yes..i love learning little tidbits here and there. p.s. btw.. there is a new remake version of thundercats on tv. (maybe cable?) not sure but jordan and jershon watches it together. we miss u!!! hope to see u when we visit again.. (from the oh so horribly HOT HOT sacramento) im writing this sweating in my house at like midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. You don't really look a day older than the first time I saw you. I think you were a Senior in High School then!!! Hope the 30year (which you are entering) is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at the pictures on your blog often because my grandkids are so cute. However, today I really looked at your fabric stash. Oh my goodness! What are you ever going to do with all that fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little behind on my blog reading, so ... happy belated birthday! I loved the 29 random things. :) And as a fellow sewer (still don't feel qualified to call myself a seamstress), I love the fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete