Thursday, October 7, 2010

On Tuesday I had another appointment. It was super fast! I got called in after only sitting down for about 2 minutes! My belly measured 37cm, and I weighed between 149-150, which is the most I've ever weighed in my life. I was the same last week, so maybe I'm in the "slowing down of weight gain because delivery is getting close" phase. I'm dilated to 2.5cm and 50% effaced. That seems like a lot. Hopefully he doesn't just fall out. I hope this keeps going though, because I'm very happy with the idea of most of the dilating happening before things get painful.

I talked to my brother-in-law last week about the GBS stuff. At first I was irritated at my doctor, then I read the CDC and March of Dimes websites, and completely freaked out. He was very helpful though, and made me feel a lot better. If my water breaks, I have to go in right away, no matter what. And I will need to get IV injections of antibiotics, but it's just single injections, not the whole IV pole and everything, so hopefully I'll still be able to do something other than lay in a hospital bed and wait and think about how painful everything is. He said that I'll need to have the antibiotics at least 4 hours before delivery--as long as there's 4 hours you're essentially considered GBS negative. I'm not really sure how to plan that, but I guess we'll figure it out. If we don't get there in time, we'll have to stay in the hospital 48 hours after baby is born, and they'll do a few blood draws to make sure there are no issues. And I might end up getting an epidural, and it will be OK. I'm still going to try my patented "Distraction With an Awesome Book" method, but I think it will be SO much harder in the hospital, where I'll be all scared & anxious, and Scott will be bored, and I will be sitting in a bed. Maybe I can have a room with a chair & table to sit at instead? And maybe I can get away with not wearing a gown? My brother-in-law also really didn't like my original plan of getting to the hospital RIGHT before the baby was born (like what happened with Evy) because he's seen too many babies born in the car on the way to the hospital or out in the parking lot.

My inlaws are flying in this evening, so this guy is now officially allowed to be born at any time. My actual due date is the 14th, even though by my period it's the 6th and by the "big" 20 week ultrasound it was the 9th. The 14th date came from the very early ultrasound I had at about 8 weeks, and we go with that because the earlier ones are most accurate, since there is less variation in growth rate and stuff at that time.

My doctor said that at my next appointment she'd talk about scheduling me to be induced, and it was hard for me to get a few words in that I don't want to be induced. So the very latest she'll let me go is the 28th (2 weeks after due date). And starting next Friday (one day after due date) I'll go in twice a week for ultrasounds to check the amniotic fluid level and monitoring to make sure baby is still healthy. But she said she REALLY doesn't think I'll be late with this one.

I've been trying to clean stuff this week, although my house is still incredibly messy, and I just can't seem to get any dishes to go away, no matter how much time I spend washing them. Which is pretty hilarious, because I have to bend over and reach way far out because our counter is kinda high and the faucet doesn't go out very far, and my big belly makes it hard to reach! But I cleaned the bathroom, our room, and the breakfast nook/kids playroom. I'm working on the dining room a little today, but I'm resigned to the fact that I just can't get everything done before my inlaws come and/or before the baby comes. And since I can't commission Scott on account of the fact that he doesn't have any days off, this is as good as it will get. And that's OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment